Monday, June 6, 2011

Pecan Pralines


Growing up, pralines were by far my favorite dessert. On the rare occasions my mother would make them my sisters and I would savor each and every bite. They never lasted long in our house and to this day my mouth waters when I think of them. I finally had the chance to make them with my mother the other day and despite having to throw out the first batch we had so much fun. The following recipe is quite easy if you have all your equipment set up ahead of time. Everything happens pretty quickly so it is key to read through the recipe before beginning. It is also pretty important to use a candy thermometer (we learned this the hard way) to get the perfect sugar consistency.

Pecan Pralines

3 cups brown sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups pecan halves

Begin by spreading wax paper or silpat across your counters. Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly until the temperature reaches 236 degrees F.
Remove from heat, add pecans and vanilla and stir vigorously until mixture begins to thicken. Drop by spoonfuls onto the wax paper, reheating mixture slightly if it becomes too hard. Allow to firm completely and store in an airtight container. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...